Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Microsoft R server

scott_elliott
7 - Meteor

With Revolution Analytics being bought by Microsoft. Is there a change to the installer for Alteryx server.

We have a client that has the standard R install but is looking the switching to Microsoft R Server as it provides multithreading Capability. Eg- It runs faster.

However there is very little documentation as to what the best approach is.

We would like to "try before we buy" but the Alteryx installer is only for Revolution R it seems out of date

Can someone please advise

10 REPLIES 10
DrDan
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@scott_elliott, currently support Microsoft R Server / RRE 8.0. We will alo being using it going forward to implement In-DB predictive analytics in a number of data platforms that Microsoft R Server supports, or will support in the future. The current sticking point is licensing for Microsoft R Server on a Windows machine, which is something that Microsoft is working out at this point.

Dan

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

That's exciting news... the simplicity of the predictive macros combined with the power of in-database processing!  Looking forward to it!

scott_elliott
7 - Meteor

Hi Dan,

can you elaborate on "currently support Micsrosft R Server/ RRE 8.0"

Excuse my ignorance R is not an area of Strength, however currently I have the R installed onto our server installation. I drag a R-Tool onto the the canvas insert my R code and we are good to go.

I'd like to switch to the Microsoft R installer but it is not available on the install. Only the revolution R which is a paid version and super expensive.

Now that Revolution has been bought I would have thought the installer would have changed to the Microsoft version and the revolution option superceded.

So when you say support that doesn't appear immediately obvious to me as I only use the R-tool.

Appreciate a little more detail 

thanks

Scott

DrDan
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@scott_elliott: Alteryx can make use of Microsoft R Services (MRS, formerly Revolution R Enterprise, or RRE) as the R engine that Alteryx uses if you have it installed on the machine running Alteryx. It isn't bundled with Alteryx, and requires that you obtain the product from Microsoft. How to make use of MRS/RRE's ScaleR technology for scaling predictive analytics in Alteryx is described in this document: http://downloads.alteryx.com/Documentation/Alteryx%20and%20Revolution%20Analytics%20Integration%20Gu...

Dan

CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

That document's full link is here:

http://downloads.alteryx.com/Documentation/Alteryx%20and%20Revolution%20Analytics%20Integration%20Gu...

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
scott_elliott
7 - Meteor

@DrDan @CailinS

Reading the document you have both shared the link to it doesn't discuss Microsoft R Open.

I think I'd like to test R Open before commiting the Enterprise version. (Especially as I am still waiting the Revolution to contact me to discuss enterprise version pricing)

So is the path to success as follows

Uninstall R predictives from Server install.

Install RRO 8.0.3 for RRE 7.4.1

Install R Open for R Server/RRE 2016

Install RRE predictive tools onto Alteryx server

thanks

DrDan
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

After the Microsoft acquisition, the installation for RRE changed to require installing Reveloution R Open (now Microsoft R Open). Follow the instructions for RRE 7.4.1, and once installed, Alteryx will use RRE 7.4.1. Installing RRE 7.4.1 process actually requires three steps: (1) RRO installation, (2) Non-R open source component installation, and (3) installation of RRE.

It is currently not possible to use RRO (MRO) as the Alteryx Engine if it is not part of an RRE (MRS) installation. This may change in the future.

Dan

scott_elliott
7 - Meteor

Hi Dan,

trying to follow as below. However when i try to install 7.4.1 it won't let me as I don't have 7.4.0 and 7.4.0 is no longer available

DrDan
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

We will look into it. The next release of Alteryx will support MRS 8.0. At the moment versions of RRE/MRS change rapidly as a result of the integration of Revolution Analytics into Microsoft, so syncing with them is challenging.

Dan

Labels