Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Metadata

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Metadata can be viewed only in Results Window? 

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner
Not sure what the question is here but no meta info can be viewed in many places. Yes one of them is in the results window by hitting the meta info tab, but you can also get detail about the meta info by using the browse tool, field summary tool and field info tool, and I'm sure there are many other ways too.

If you want to change the data types you can use a select tool.

Ben
Highlighted
5 - Atom

Metadata can be viewed in Results window, Overview window and Configuration windows?

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

You can view Metadata for your workflow's data at any tool by looking at the Results window and flipping from Data to Metadata view.

Alteryx Metadata Screenshot.png

The Workflow Configuration window has a Meta Info tab that allows you to enter details to describe your workflow.

Alteryx Meta Info Screenshot.png

The Overview window zooms out to show you your full workflow, but does not provide any metadata.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

yeah - many of us have the same question (obviously). 

The overview window is the same as the canvas -- I don't see a way to view metadata here. So - no here.  

Definitely results windows and configuration window also, since results are available in some configuration windows.  

Highlighted
10 - Fireball

Two tools that show the Metadata of the fields while running a workflow are:

“Field Info” and “Basic Data Profile” Tools under “Developer” and “Data Investigation”

FieldInfo.pngDataProfile.png

The “Field Info” tool returns these Metadata fields:

• Name   
  • Type     
  • Size       
  • Scale     
  • Source
  • Description

The “Basic Data Profile” Tool returns these Metadata fields:

• Name
  • Data Type
  • Size
  • Source
  • Description
  • Nulls
  • Non-Nulls
  • Blanks
  • Values with Leading Whitespace
  • Values with Trailing Whitespace
  • Values with Both Whitespace
  • Average Length
  • Longest Length
  • Longest Value
  • Shortest (Non Blank) Length
  • Shortest Value
  • Minimum
  • Maximum
  • Uniques
  • Unique Values
Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I can't see my metadata (ie what's string, what's double) in configuration, are you sure is "meta info" the same thing with "metadata"?

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

In Alteryx terminology, metadata and meta info appear to be separate concepts.  Metadata provides details about your data while meta info is user inputs that are available for you to provide details and descriptions about your workflow.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid
Hello

Can you write the metadata into a table, as I am trying check the columns names against a predefined list.

Many thanks

Denny
Highlighted
7 - Meteor

@denny_chan

Yes, as @Darryl5280 mentioned, you can connect the Field Info Tool from the Developer Tool Palette to output metadata for your data table, which includes fields: Name, Type, Size, Scale, Source and Description.  There are additional tools under the Data Investigation Tool Palette (Basic Data Profile Tool and Field Summary Tool) that provide other details about your data table, but the Field Info Tool is sufficient for your inquiry.

Alex

Labels