Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here
SOLVED

Metadata Can Be Viewed

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

where can metadata be viewed in designer? I want to know, in which all place we can view the metadata?

Searched many places but only received a confusing answer. Please clear my doubt if it can be viewed only in the - 

1.Result Window

2.Result and configuration window

3.Only Overview window

or

4.Result and overview window

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Metadata for the data moving through the workflow can be accessed in the Results window. Metadata of the workflow is available in XML format in the Configuration window when you turn on the "View XML Properties" option in User Settings. 

- Are you interested in data metadata, or workflow metadata? Providing an example of what metadata you're interested in will help the Community guide you to the answer you seek. 

- What version of Designer are you using? 

Highlighted
10 - Fireball

Results Window

In the Result window there two options, Data and Metadata, they switch the view of the results from actual data, and then in the mode Metadata shows only File Name, File Type, Length, and Description.

Tools

“Select”

File Type, Size, and Description are shown, and those values can be changed.

“Basic Data Type”

Shown under the Category of “Data Investigation” returns the same information File Name, File Type, Length, and Description but includes other Metadata fields like the following:

Name

Data Type

Size

Source

Description

Nulls

Non-Nulls

Blanks

Values with Leading Whitespace

Values with Trailing Whitespace

Values with Both Whitespace

Average Length

Longest Length

Longest Value

Shortest (Non Blank) Length

Shortest Value

Minimum

Maximum

Uniques

Unique Values

Highlighted

Good point about the tools, @Darryl5280.

The Field Info tool (in the Developer category) is also a great resource for field metadata. 

Highlighted

@jaiswas1 ,

I like to look in the results window:

capture.png

Toggle from Data to Metadata.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Thank you @CharlieS for the explanation. It was helpful. I got this question as in which all place can we see the metadata in the designer. They didn't mention whether it should be data metadata or workflow metadata.

Though after replicating your suggestion, I believe the answer should be both the result window and configuration window.

And yes, I am using v2019.2

Thank you once again!

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi,

Has the questioned been confirmed that metadata can be viewed in both the results window and the configuration window. I am also preparing to take the certification and cannot find a conclusive answer. 

Thanks

Labels