Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Meta information from ODBC query leaking into Data. How to trouble shoot?

AlexApolloni
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow that starts with a few In-DB connections to some Snowflake views, does a few filters and JOINs and then ends with a Select-In-DB followed by a Data Stream Out.  From there I have both an Output Data and a Browse.  In both of these, I'm getting a large amount of rows that include what looks like the Meta Data that the ODBC driver would do (I'm not exactly sure how to describe it). Please see a screen shot below from the Browse.  You can clearly see =Simba Snowflake which is the Connection Name to the ODBC driver and what looks like XML type stuff describing the fields types.  There's definitely no Asian language data in the source database so I'm assuming that is some sort of corruption.

Is this a known thing?  How do I go about starting to trouble shoot this?

I'm on Alteryx Admin Designer Version: 2021.2.1.35394 and using the latest Simba Snowflake driver pointed to from the Alteryx webpage (2.23.02.1012).

As an aside, I and my company are very new to Alteryx so don't have any internal folks I can turn to.

Many Thanks,

Alex

AlexApolloni_0-1626377582661.png

8 REPLIES 8
AlexApolloni
7 - Meteor

The error above shows up when I use the Simba Snowflake driver but doesn't when I use the other just Snowflake driver pointed to from the Alteryx driver list.  

A colleage is also seeing this on version 1.04 of the Simba driver.

A colleage on 1.03 doesn't see this.

When I downgrade to Simba Snowflake 1.03, I no longer see the meta data and Chinese characters.

I must conclude it's a problem introduced in version 1.04 of the driver.

This seems to recommend Simba https://help.alteryx.com/20212/designer/snowflake .  Where can I find out more about the two drivers?

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AlexApolloni 

Simba Snowflake 1.03 or 1.04 are not supported. 

The supported driver is Simba Snowflake ODBC Driver Version: 2.23.2.1012. See Help:

https://help.alteryx.com/20212/designer/snowflake
Validated On:
Database Version: 5.4.1
ODBC Client Version: 2.23.2.1012

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AlexApolloni You said you are having the issue using Simba Snowflake 1.04. That is not a supported version. The supported version is 2.23.2.1012. 

AlexApolloni
7 - Meteor

@ntobon sorry for the confusion, I should have summarized the reply to include the original message.  Let me try again.

In the original message, I started with my seeing the issue on 2.23.02.1012 (the supported Simba Snowflake version).

Then, in the followup message, in addition to the supported version, we also see the issue on 1.04.

We DO NOT see the issue on 1.03.

(So, our assumption is that the issue started with 1.04 and continued to the current version 2.23) 

(As an aside, we also do not see the issue on the non-certified/non-Simba Snowflake version)

Many Thanks.

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AlexApolloni  I tested it with Simba Snowflake ODBC Driver Version: 2.23.2.1012 and I was not able to reproduce the issue:

ntobon_0-1626812795439.png

can you share your query ? 

AlexApolloni
7 - Meteor

Hello @ntobon 

Do you want me to attach the .yxmd file or is this screen shot sufficient?

2021-07-21_17-19-14 (5).png

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AlexApolloni This issue is resolved with the newest Snowflake driver (Simba Driver 2.24.3.1016) which is available on downloads.alteryx.com. Please download and use that diver. 

AlexApolloni
7 - Meteor

Thanks @ntobon .  I tried with a simple flow and see that it's resolved.

Labels