Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Message tool Expression message to an Output file

paullimCH
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Is there a means to route the Message Expression (from Message Tool) to an Output file.

The context is

I use the Message tool to detect inconsistencies between 2 file inputs and issues a message expression on error in Results Window.

However I'd like to push this error to an external file (defined dynamically). 

I tried to connect the Message tool to the Render tool, but am unable to source the Message expression in the Render tool.

Can anyone suggest a way forward ?

best regards

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
ConnorK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @paullimCH ,

Thank you for your question. There are a couple of ways that you can output the logs of a workflow that might help. This includes the messages from the workflow you have created. The first method would be to create a workflow "Event" that could push the logs of the workflow to an email. The second would be to specify a logging directory through the user settings on Designer.

Scenario #1 (Create an email event upon completion):

1) Click the white space on the workflow to expose the below workflow properties configuration, and navigate to the "Events" tab

ConnorK_0-1593201412787.png

2) Once you are at the above configuration select "Add > Send Email..", and you will see the below window pop up

ConnorK_1-1593201609314.png

3) In this window you will want to make sure that the "Run Event When" option is set to "After Run", so that it is taking the results of the job that just ran. You will also want to include the universal variable "%OutputLog% in the body of the email, this is the part that contains your custom messages.

4) Once the settings of the Event are configured properly you will see your custom messages in your email.

Scenario #2 (Enable logging directory)

In your use settings you can create a logging directory for all workflow that will display the results messages you have created. Please see the solution ins this post for further guidance.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Connor Kelleher
Senior Sales Engineer
Alteryx
paullimCH
7 - Meteor

Hi Connor, 

Many thanks for the quick response. Scenario 1 works perfect , even from an API call to my workflow.

It would be ideal, if %OutputLog% ERROR messages could be filtered , as opposed to parsing through all messages in the email.

And to output the specific ERROR messages to a dynamically assigned Folder / File location. 

May I inquire if it is possible to dynamically assign Email addresses.

All the best

Paul

Labels