Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Message Tool Following Summarize Tool Unexpected Results

SaleemB
6 - Meteoroid

I've attached a workflow that summarizes some input data and then provides an error message if the summarized data doesn't sum to 100.  I've output the summaries to excel and validated that each row is indeed 100 by the function (=cell=100) which correctly outputs "true".  However in Alteryx it seems to be flagging rows as not equaling 100.  Please advise.  Sample workflow attached with sample data.  Running it on my system results in:

SaleemB_0-1643828918422.png

3 REPLIES 3
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @SaleemB ,

I believe that has to do with your data type, or better it might be a rounding issue. The values appearing in your screen might seem like they are 100, but since the data type is of double precision and based on how computers store numbers, the actual value is more like 99.999...99996 or something similar.

One option is to add a select tool and convert the data type to Integer. Another option is to use a formula tool to round to the nearest decimal or integer. Both should work

AngelosPachis_0-1643830319371.png

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@SaleemB  another way to confirm what I explained above is with a formula tool and an if statement

AngelosPachis_0-1643830815577.png

as you can see, only one record is exactly equal to 100

SaleemB
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks....this makes sense!

Labels