Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merging Data When Joined

taran42
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to join two data sets together, but I cannot get the columns to merge together the way I want.

taran42_2-1626825206633.png

taran42_1-1626825039935.png

For example, there are amenities listed in data2.xlsx that aren't in data1.xlsx. When I join them, I want all amenities listed under one column and the address to fill in for that row as well. How do I merge these data sources in this manner? I feel like I'm missing something small.

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

do you want the to union in the right entries along with the joins? that would be a right inner join. That every right/data 2 entry would be reflected along with the matched entries. I don't know what you mean regarding Addresses. What do you want there where there is no value? Alteryx is showing you the values which match based upon your criteria - it's outputting all values. Is there an imputed address that you want - or do you want it to say "address 7" for "site 7"? It won't automatically do that but you can add tools to your workflow to do that...

taran42
8 - Asteroid

I want the amenities from the first and second data sets to be merged into one column of amenities. Each data set has some amenities that are in both sets, but most will not be in both, but I do want them to appear in the same column so I can filter on them when I bring them into Tableau. 

As for the addresses, yes, essentially "site 7" will be "address 7" (although in my actual data they do not match quite so neatly). 

Basically I have site, address and amenities in one data set and I want to add the additional amenities from the second data set to the first (in the same column) and fill in the missing addresses.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Union in your right and joined streams after your join - position by name and see if that's closer to what you want... you want a join and then a union.

taran42
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your help @apathetichell . I ended up performing a union on the data, then used a mult-row formula to fill in the address data.

taran42_0-1626892711848.png

Labels