Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Merging Cells when the previous cell is the Same

ak1982
5 - Atom

Hello,

Hoping someone can help.  I am trying to complete a flow that converts the below table (1) into table (2).  I want to merge the cells like in Excel.

ak1982_0-1602593697418.png

Thanks in advance,

Andy

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ak1982 

Excel merge cell is not supported in Alteryx. Sorry about that.

While using merge cell the table format is distorted hence its not supported. 

Hope this helps 🙂

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @ak1982 

As a reporting output, yes, Alteryx can handle it.

However, doing so has a deep diminishing return (and not best practice) given you'd have to split columns/ rows and stitch them back together with highly customized fixed Width + fixed Table treatments + layouts + renders.

Is this a must-have scenario for you?

Cheers!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

@RobertOdera 

Interesting can give us an example. This new to me also. Really exited to see and learn how its done 🙂 

ak1982
5 - Atom

Hi @RobertOdera,

I wouldn't say a must have, but would definitely save colleagues hours of work each week as they are doing the above on a much grander scale.

Would be interested to see how its possible and whether its a viable option.

Thanks

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @atcodedog05 

I will do that! Cheers.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @ak1982  @atcodedog05 

It is a deep diminishing return as you have to control for many things + patterning of the input files have to be static (non-changing).

1. I will assume your sample is finite in the pattern (merge candidate columns/ rows)

2. I will use your sample to build a flow (mainly to demonstrate that Alteryx can handle it)

3. Output file type might be captive (optics work better in PDF, but I will attempt to map an Excel output for you)

I will have the bandwidth for this tomorrow evening, so I should have a solution to share by Saturday afternoon EDT.

***You mentioned the goal of saving time.

1. If this is not a must-have, your best ROI might be from subscribing/ exploring a best practice future state versus wrangling with the current state

2. If your sample is not reflective of the grander scale that you've mentioned, kindly provide a new sample that is (it's better if we do the heavy lifting on a shell that you can leverage/ deploy)

Cheers!

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @ak1982, @atcodedog05 

Sorry, I lost my bandwidth last week.

Here is an example of how I would handle:

1. Output file type IS captive (only works as expected in PDF since rendering an image)

2. Does not work well in Excel given how Excel auto-handles format (I wonder if we could pass-through formatting instructions, but I don't know how TBH)

RobertOdera_0-1603246981924.png

RobertOdera_1-1603247078295.png

Cheers!

Labels