Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merging 2 datasets on reference and value (with a tricky touch)

SébastienG
5 - Atom

Hi guys,

I got a challenge that I cannot solve (don't even know if Alteryx can do it, but I trust in the community's power):

We have 2 tables, which we want to merge based on the 'reference' and on the (sum of) 'value'.

The values we want to keep in the final table, are those that constitute the larger value (omitting this larger value).
Here follows an example to make it clearer:

Table1:

TypeReferenceValue
XRef14
YRef25
Z1Ref31
Z2Ref32

Table2:

TypeReferenceValue
A1Ref11
A2Ref13
BRef25
CRef33

Target table:

Type1Type2ReferenceValue
XA1Ref11
XA2Ref13
YBRef25
Z1CRef31
Z2CRef32

You guys would help me a lot when solving this! I'd like to turn some data in a nice sankey graph.

2 REPLIES 2
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @SébastienG,

I think this solves what you're trying to achieve? Join the two tables together and use a formula to decide which value to keep?

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1590577443856.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

SébastienG
5 - Atom

I couldn't get my head around how it would work with the values, but you completely nailed it. Thanks!

Labels