Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge two columns with a separator in the middle

MH5
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I want to merge to columns from the same file with a separator in the middle '|' but I'm having an error message. 

MH5_0-1581502474671.png

MH5_1-1581502484135.png

I'm using version 2019.1.6.58192 and I was working on a more recent one before with the same formula.

The expected outcome would be something like 111111|222222 (No letters)

Many thanks for the help

6 REPLIES 6
DiegoParker
10 - Fireball

Hi MH5,

Make sure to put your pipe in between speech marks "|" also make sure both fields are string fields.

It should be [LE ID] + "|" + [ASSOCIATED_LE_ID] 

Hope this helps If does, can I ask you to mark it as the solution? this will help other users to find it and will allow us to close the thread. Many thanks!

Best,

Diego

MH5
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @DiegoParker , 

I've tried that too, it didn't work unfortunately

Thanks, 

DiegoParker
10 - Fireball

@MH5  Is there any chance you can upload your workflow? It should have worked and without having a look at it more closely I won't be able to figure why it didn't. Thanks!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

HI @MH5,

My guess would be at least one of your fields is a numeric data type and not a string. We can convert numeric fields to string data types using the ToString() function. For safety (and because I don't know your data types) i've wrapped both fields with the ToString() function in the below formula:

ToString([LE ID]) + "|" + ToString([ASSOCIATED_LE_ID])

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

MH5
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @DiegoParker  & @Jonathan-Sherman for your help

QuarterHorse
5 - Atom

Thank you for the inclusion of ToString()!  It's really helpful to create the concatenations directly in Alteryx rather than having to do it in Excel.

Labels