Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge to a Master File with Fuzzy Matching sample flow

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Hi,

I'm confused by the Merge_to_a_master_file_with_fuzzy_matching sample (Sample Workflows | Use scripting and automation tools | Build a Macro | Merge to a master file with fuzzy matching)  and I suspect I'm missing something obvious.

I think I understand the intent of the flow and the use of the macros etc. but I'm not sure why the RecordID fields output from the top of the macro are swapped since this will mean that the next join always passes the data from the left on. if the RecordID fields were not renamed the flow would join on the records not excluded by the filtering on the right and would only pass 'good' matches.

Here's a picture that may help.

fuzzy.png

This is not a major issue for me, just interested to understand what I'm not grasping. I was able to use this example and the excellent videos in the training to get enough information to move forward with my project.

Cheers,

Iain

2 REPLIES 2
WayneWooldridge
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ivoller,

You bring up an excellent point.  This example is probably not the finest example of Fuzzy Matching Alteryx has to offer. If you remove the 'Rename' fields in the top Select Tool coming out the macro, the results make more sense. 

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Thanks Wayne, That's what i thought, just wanted to make sure i hadn't missed something.

Iain

Labels