Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge data but replace part of it

pperrot1
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have multiple data input sources, each with parts of information I’d like to merge to a single database.

One has a count of New and cumulative Covid-19 cases and deaths by date and by country.

The other has virtually the same data, but it is the official data from Brazil, with added state and city level data from this country. This data is more accurate for this particular country.

So I’d like to replace the Brazil country level data from the World data file by the Brazil official file (while maintaining all the other countries data intact) as well as append the Brazilian City and State level data.

How can I accomplish that?

4 REPLIES 4
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@pperrot1 

Sounds like a candidate for the Find Replace tool.  If you configure it to append the fields you wish to add and/or use as replacements, and then use a formula after that to swap in values you're interested in.  If you post a sample of the data, I can show you an example workflow.

jm

pperrot1
7 - Meteor

@john_miller9 wrote:

@pperrot1 

Sounds like a candidate for the Find Replace tool.  If you configure it to append the fields you wish to add and/or use as replacements, and then use a formula after that to swap in values you're interested in.  If you post a sample of the data, I can show you an example workflow.

jm

Thanks a lot! Please find my workflow attached.. at least what I got so far...

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Thanks for the additional context.  In this case, I would just exclude Brazil from the World data file and union in the new data source for Brazil information.  You'll have to rename (or reorder) some of the fields, depending on your join criteria, but that seems to be the most straight forward approach.

pperrot1
7 - Meteor
Awesome!! It worked perfectly.
Can’t believe I didn’t think of that!

Paula Perrotta
Labels