Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge Columns that have Already Been Split

AIG_Dave
6 - Meteoroid

Hey all.

I'm very new to Alteryx ... only been using it for a few weeks.

This question is likely very basic. I have data that should be contained in two columns but was split into multiple columns for aesthetic reasons ... I'm guessing.

I need a way to merge all columns with the same column name into a single column. How can I do this? Do I need to use the Cross Tab and Transpose tools somehow?

I've attached an example of what my data look like for reference.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
jnans
8 - Asteroid

@AIG_Dave 

You will need to ensure all fields you need to merge are a string

Then you can use a Formula tool to add the strings together

[field 1] + " " + [field 2] + " " [field 3], etc depending on how you need it.

NOTE: you will only have to do the + " " + if you need to add a space between the contents of your fields.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @AIG_Dave ,

I am not sure if this result is as per your desired output but from what I have understood is that you want to combine all the Age fields into one field and same in the case of Multiplier, so attaching the workflow in this post.

Thank you.

Sapna Gupta
AIG_Dave
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your solutions!

I guess "Merge" is not the correct word. @grazitti_sapna 's output (like the new attached file) is more the output I was going for. Ages 14, 15, 16, etc. and their multipliers need to be moved to the rows under Age 13. I.e. The rows of columns 3 and 4 need to be moved under the rows of Columns 1 and 2; the rows of columns 5 and 6 should also be in columns 1 and 2 but in the rows after the data from columns 3 and 4, etc.

Is there any way to do this more generally? What if I have a table that has 100 pairs of columns? I definitely wouldn't want to use 100 Select tools for that!

bpatel
Alteryx
Alteryx

Try this workflow. Hope this helps!

AIG_Dave
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!

You make it look easy. Much appreciated.

Labels