Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Max number of programs running concurrently

air0storm
7 - Meteor

Hi community,

At a loss on how to do this calculation elegantly.

My data looks like this.

ManagerProgramStart DateEnd Date
SmithA19942010
JonesB20142020
JonesC20192025
DaviesD20002001

I want to ask "what was the maximum number of programs each manager had going on in any any given year, and which year(s) was that?" So in this case, for Jones it would be 2 in 2019 and 2020, because B & C were both running then.

The only way I can think of to do it is to add columns to the right for every single year and ask "was active in this year?" But I have a lot of years so that gets messy quickly.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @air0storm,

I would use the logic suggested by you. Creating a new line for each year is one of the ways to achieve these results. As the second step, we can just use the summarize tool.

Emil_Kos_0-1614753687762.png

Output:

Emil_Kos_1-1614753734904.png

air0storm
7 - Meteor

Thank you. That "generate rows" tool was what I was missing. I was imagining having to manually add 50 columns or append them as fields which seemed far too laborious

Labels