Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching on and logic derived from partial string matching\

GoldenDesign04
8 - Asteroid

I have a work flow that pulls data and outputs a series of rows of data; sometimes small amount of rows, sometimes none. These are error reports generated from system machines.

I have a second data source that is essentially a IT ticketing service that generates reports on a vast array of issues generated and fixed.

So workflow, call it Dataset A output looks like this:

Error locationerror typeunique machine ID
EFGH 51.2CC3456
ABCD 12.3BB1234

The ticketing service unfortunately does not put this information into separate columns. Instead there is a single column called short description with quite a bit of information; let's call it DatasetB:

Short descriptionNumber
String-XXXX-XXX-XX-XXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXX: ABCD 12.3: BB : More String - Data ABC123456789
String-XXXX-XXX-XX-XXXX-XXX: AAA 12.3: BB : More String - Data XZY987654321

I've had to anonymize the data rather heavily. But I think you can understand where the data is.

So what am I trying to do? Two things:

1. Find matches from both data sets that contain the error location. I only need the ABCD section of error location. Then add the the number column from data set B to the first data set A.
  2. If DataSet A entry does not exist in Dataset B send an email.

So in the example above the output would be:

Error locationerror typeunique machine IDNumber
ABCD 12.3BB1234ABC123456789

An email then would be sent detailing the first row since it does not have a ticket generated.

Couple things that might clarify:

The first string lengths do vary although the colon is constant. I have used parse text to columns to separate part of the field out with limited success; I'm probably doing it wrong. 

Any and all help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @GoldenDesign04 

My thoughts here were to use a Find and Replace to find where the "Error location" finds a match within the "Description" field.

Joining that back to the original data then separates those records that found a match and those that did not into two separate streams, so that you can handle each accordingly.  Those that found a match can go to an output, while those that do not have a ticket created get sent to the e-mail tool in this case.

find_error_match.PNG

Labels