Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching Fields from Two Data Sets

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create a match function within Alteryx to see if any users (table 2) match with a combination of roles (table 1). Basically, I want to flag/see all the users that have combination of roles from combinations 1-6. For example, you will see all the roles within combination 4b (bold in table 1) are inherited by User2 (bold in table 2). For such matches, i would like to see the users and the respective combination they have (see output example at the bottom). Is this possible within Alteryx? Any help would be highly appreciated!! I have also attached the below table in excel format (please see attachment

Input File 1 - Table 1 Combination of Roles 

mustufa2019_0-1585126367975.png

Input File 2 - Table 2 Users and Roles (see attachment for complete list)

mustufa2019_1-1585126471373.png

Output Example (showing all the matches): 

Name Combination
User24b

7 REPLIES 7
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @mustufa2019,

I think this is what you were trying to achieve?

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman , i am having issues importing the file. i received the below error. Although i do currently have the latest version of Alteryx (2019 .4 X64). Would you know the reason? 

mustufa2019_0-1585152950039.png

mustufa2019_1-1585152998662.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @mustufa2019,

I've changed the version to 2018.4 now so you should have no issue importing. The file in the last reply was built in 2020.1 (newest version of Alteryx).

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached an updated workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

@Jonathan-Sherman never mind, i figured this out. Let me go through the workflow and see if this solves it

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman this does work in a way but is not accurate I noticed. In the below workflow, we are matching based on the total jobs within a role. For example, there could be a job and user with the same number of roles but the roles (role names) might be different. In this case, we will get false positives.

mustufa2019_0-1585161516291.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @mustufa2019,

But we are joining on Role and Role Names, which will tell us which roles each user can do. Comparing this to the roles needed for each combination, if they are the same there should be no issue? Can you attach some mock data for which this method wouldn't work? I'll happily take a look again!

Regards,

Jonathan

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

@Jonathan-Sherman sorry for the late response. This worked out. thank you so much!

Labels