Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Matching Data that is not exact

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid
Hello all! So I have a set of data that has a field named "Identifier" and it has records like: 1F004508122311111, Z10058841.1.5.1.2. I need to match another set of data that has the field name "Reference" with records like: Z6TZCAAN, Z6TBDAAX11101*. The goal is to find any EXACT matches (if there are any) of records like Z6TZCAAN from Reference to any exact matches in Identifier. Then to also find wild card matches of records like Z6TBDAAX11101* from Reference to any possible matches in Identifier. Any ideas how to incorporate both of these kinds of matches?
5 REPLIES 5
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can use a join to identify exact matches - these would come out of the J output. Any non-matches would come out of the L or R output (depending on which one you had your reference table attached to). You can then use a find and replace (with the append feature) to identify your wildcard matches.

Hope this helps!

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid
This somewhat works...only thing is with the find and replace tool its bringing not just wildcard matches but all the data from the "Identifier" data set. I only want to bring in wildcard matches
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can add a filter with the appended field not being null to remove the non-matches.

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid

I've attached my sample workflow below. When I add the filter tool its not giving my desired output. There are three example data records that are possible wildcard matches, in the desired output I should see only  Z6TMCAY30112AA048999.2 and Z7EASAAF1.2.1.1.6.1.29988 as wildcard matches. With the find and replace I have all three records coming through, when I add the filter at the end it doesn't give me my desired output.

I'm sure I'm making a small mistake in my workflow so I appreciate all the help!

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You'll want to remove the asterisk. The find and replaced is already doing a partial match looking for those keywords, so the wildcard is not necessary.

I went ahead and added identifiers for the match types and then created a consolidated list of them. Hope this helps!

echuong1_0-1618596800464.png

Labels