Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Match and update, but do not remove previous data

Tjillett
7 - Meteor

Could use a little help and a tip if someone could reach out. 

Flow # 1, Outputs an excel file #1, has data and added two blank columns (F&G) (no problem here) 

Excel File # 1 gets sent out to vendor A, Vendor A fills in data in two blank columns (F&G) and sends back as Excel file #2 or #1 not sure how I want to proceed. 

What I need is help where when after I run flow #1, that I can run a second flow and if data in columns A - E match then do not override the new data in columns F & G. So that when I send file to Vendor A that they do not have to keep re-entering all of the data only the new rows of data. 

What tools should I use to accomplish this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in Advance.

Ted Jillett

Insulet Corporation 

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Tjillett ,

If when you prepare the data for output, you compare your A-E data using a CReW Delta macro (available here) you will get a "D" output with data if something changes.  You can count the records that changed (it really doesn't matter how many changes) using a Count Records macro (use this because it outputs a zero if there are changes.

Now you can be clever.  APPEND FIELDS the count of the deltas to the incoming data.  If the incoming data + the count of changes = 0  you can use a filter to drive the data to one output file.  If there are changes, then drive the data to an output file where you overwrite the F & G columns.

I think that this should work for you.  

cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Tjillett
7 - Meteor

Mark; 

Thank You for that solution it worked great, had to do a couple small modifications. I ended up using my second input data (the one with the additional data in columns say F&G (really H&I) and used a union to bring the non-matched data into the second input data file. It looks like it's working properly. 

I really love the feedback and support that comes from this community. 

Thanks Again

Ted Jillett

Insulet Corporation.

Labels