Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Match One Value between Two Strings

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Experts - 

Here's the case: I need to figure out if there is at least one common value present in 2 different strings.  For example:

String A: 123, abd, edf

String B: 345,edf,789

In this case there is a match on "edf". 

I am looking for a solution that:

> Doesn't involve parsing and then transposing the strings as that will create millions of records

> Leaves the strings as they are

> Doesn't involve lots of tools - as I already have a solution that involves lots of tools

If I am overlooking an existing function or simple process to get this done, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

20 REPLIES 20
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Are these strings different fields in the same record? Or on different records that share a common ID or grouping?

If they're in the same record, you could filter to these records by doing something like:

Contains([String A],'edf') AND Contains([String B], 'edf')

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Different fields in the same record.  The problem is I don't know if or what the matching value would be between fields.

"edf" was just an example - not necessarily a known value I am looking for.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bonediggler 

Can you provide the expected output? what is the output after comparing?

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Boolean: match = true/no match = false

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hmm I see, needs to dynamically check to see if there's something in common. I can't think of any solution that doesn't include parsing it out but maybe some of the other smart people here can. 

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

Are the values to be tested delimited, and if so, is there really a common delimiter?  Your sample leads me to believe it is  "," that is what tells the tokens apart.

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Sorry - yes, comma delimiter

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Bonediggler 

If the comma is your common delimiter, you can use a couple Text to Columns and a Filter to find only the strings that match. I mocked up 300,000 rows of data using this method, which ballooned up to 2.7M rows after the Text to Columns tools, and it ran in about 2 seconds.

Maskell_Rascal_0-1627583213714.png

Cheers!

Phil

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

I am working with millions of rows and up to dozens of values per string so this method might cause Alteryx to explode, but it definitely is one solution!

Labels