Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Match Box size to order based on volume (Like a true/range vlookup)

AustinBauer
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am trying to match a box size to an order based on volume. I have a lower and upper range of volume for each box size. And I'm basicly trying to do a range vlookup to pull the ideal box size onto each order, and match it with the SKU volume. I have attached pictures of my data. Please let me know your suggestions. Thank you! 

If you could build a quick example workflow that would be amazing, thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Hi @AustinBauer 

Solution is attached. 

Snag_39675128.png

One way to do this is by appending every box type to every order number to create every scenario of box being paired with the order. From there you can use a filter specifying that the total volume is less than the upper limit AND that the total volume is less than the lower limit to return one row per order - as this condition should only be true once. 

[Sum_SKU Volume] <= [Target volume - Upper range] AND [Sum_SKU Volume] >= [Target volume - lower range] 

Hope this helps! 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AustinBauer 

The excellent solution from @lmorrell answers the question you posed, what's the smallest box by volume that will fit the volume of material.  But your input data seems to be incorrect.  The volume you give for the 2nd item is 1060.56, but the volume according to the listed dimensions should be 4147.32.   

Another question, do you need to take the item dimensions into account as well?  Unless you're packing something that can be deformed, or a fluid, the item has to fit in the box.  An item 14X12X2 has a volume of 336 and according to volume would fit in a SM CUBE BOX(259.35-358.4).  According to the individual dimensions, however the smallest box that will fit the item is a #1 BOX(15X13X12)

Dan

Labels