Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Mapping from multiple columns (conditional)

tiverson
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create a column that list the values conditionally from multiple columns.

Data table sample

tiverson_0-1653426843736.png

I am trying to create the new column using the condition that if Pos 1 is not empty, return that value.  If it is empty, enter Pos 2.  If that is empty, return Pos 3 (orange items).......The only change to this routine is that if there is an Account listed, I want Pos 3 listed as the position. (yellow items)

Desired output

tiverson_1-1653426888556.png

Any help is appreciated, thanks

6 REPLIES 6
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @tiverson,

I think the attached workflow follows your logic:

IraWatt_0-1653428015369.png

The multi row fills in the Pos 3 so the formula always has something to reference to when applying your logic. 

If you have any questions or issues with the workflow make sure to ask :)

HTH,

Ira

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@tiverson Another way of dong it

binuacs_0-1653428921317.png

kuoshihyang
7 - Meteor

Hi, that is pretty easy to do in Alteryx.  Just plop in a Multi-Row Formula tool and create a new field called Position (V_string).

Then for your formula just do the following:

If (isEmpty([Acct]) and isEmpty([Pos 2]) and isEmpty([Pos 3]) and !isEmpty([Pos 1])) Then  [Pos 1]

elseIf (isEmpty([Acct]) and !isEmpty([Pos 2]) and isEmpty([Pos 3]) and isEmpty([Pos 1])) Then  [Pos 2]

elseIf (!isEmpty([Acct]) and isEmpty([Pos 2]) and isEmpty([Pos 1]) and !isEmpty([Pos 3])) Then  [Pos 3]

else [Row-1:Position]

endif

* I used a data cleanse tool to replace Nulls with blanks for my formula to check for isEmpty, you can also use isNull if you only have nulls.

Hope this helps! 

kuoshihyang_0-1653428855169.png

tiverson
8 - Asteroid

@kuoshihyang @binuacs @IraWatt 

Ugh, I actually had my accounts off by one row.  I have attached a revised file.

The accounts do not start until the row after the Pos 3 amount

tiverson_0-1653431147287.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @tiverson,

I've added the new data to my workflow and it still seems to work fine:

IraWatt_0-1653431508143.png

kuoshihyang
7 - Meteor

Just tweak the formula to check for the correct combination of isEmpty or isNull fields,

so for example: if (!isEmpty([Acct]) and isEmpty([Pos 1]) and isEmpty([Pos 2]) and isEmpty([Pos 3])) then [Row-1:Pos 3]... that should get you the value in the Pos 3 field for the previous record. 

Labels