Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Map rendering taking forever or never

lobal
7 - Meteor

I have a simple workflow with data points containing Lat & Long and correctly defined in Alteryx as floating point as they are in original file. That map file renders correctly by itself.They are joined with spatial match tool to a shapefile that renders correctly. The data types are correctly defined under the spatial match tool. I also have a filter before the create points tool to limit the number of points to be rendered. The points go in as target and the shapefile is joined as universe. It takes about 20 minutes for the map to render or it never renders. Is there a way to improve this?

1 REPLY 1
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

How many points/spatial objects are included on this map? Based on your descriptions, I've got a feeling that you have a lot of duplicated spatial objects (that may not appear that way).

So you input points and spatial match to polygons. The Spatial Match tool works like a Join and in this case, each point that is input will have the joined polygon added to that record. So if you input 100 points, and 90 of them join to the same polygon, the output will contain 90 records of 1 point and 1 joined polygon each. As you can imagine, this will grow your data stream very quickly and it's struggling to process 90 polygons on top of one another. 

I recommend using a unique ID field for each of the polygons that is joined by the Spatial Match tool so the polygon field can be deselected. The polygon can be joined up a single time using that ID field later in the workflow. 

Labels