Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Many outputs in one Excel file

avo
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone, 

I'm new here and also new with Alteryx .

I'm having problem to export my outputs into one Excel File:  From 1 data input I have to create 10 different outputs (10 reports)  and try to save them in one Excel File.  Please find below some images and also my workflow image. 

I got so many error messages. Is it the right tools I use in this case ? 

I also have another question : Can I save my new ouputs into the same report as my initial input?  I tried it by I got some error. So I'm not sure, probably I did something not correct !!! 

thank you so much for your helps

Anh

10 REPLIES 10
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@avo 
First, can you elaborate the bussiness intention here to keep updating one output file with different data?

Can you just ouput the final results?

For the second one I think we can override the input file given the input and output having same schema.

avo
7 - Meteor

Hello Qiu

thank you for your quick answer

Yes, I can output my final results but my workflow shows many errors !!! I'm wondering if I did something wrong .

For the second question, If we override the input, it will be gone from the file... isn't it? Can I keep it with the output sheets?

thank you

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@avo 
Just arrived at office.

1. The error is occuring since many tools are trying to write to your output fo at same time, which is illegal.

You are using Block Until Done, which is good, but we have to chain them in a time sequence to allow one after one writing.

2. Yes, the original input will be override. we can of course  keep the input in the output, given that the total records will not change from input to output.

aesanchez
7 - Meteor

avo,

It is to expect so many errors when saving multiple output strings to the same file. The Alteryx workflow is attempting to open the same output file, Excel or otherwise, and process multiple tasks simultaneously.

Still, a solution is possible.

One of them is to use the Crew Macros package. This is a set of user-developed macros that can be loaded to a workflow just like any other standard Alteryx tool. They all have good descriptions.

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/

The ones to use in your case are...

1. Parallel Block Until Done - sends each string one at a time onto the output file

2. Label Block Until Done - assures that the input from the source file and all other upstream tasks have been complete before proceeding further, e.g. to output to the same file used as input.

See the sample included.

avo
7 - Meteor

thank you so much for your help.

I think I'm having problem to download new tools because of my Alteryx Version ( Non-Admin Designer) . I went to the link you send, got the macro. I tried to run ''Install'' but nothing happened ☹️. Probably because of my version !!!

avo
7 - Meteor

I probably didn't put the Block Untill Done at the right time . Since I'm new with Alteryx 😊 ( more question will come for sure) 

I will need to practice again and again to build up a nice workflow. 

thank you so much for your helps.

aesanchez
7 - Meteor

Practice makes perfect, that's for sure.

If you are still having issues w/ the worklow, post the relevant portion for further feedback.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you are using AMP Engine, It might work if you don't use the AMP Engine.

AkimasaKajitani_1-1606533053291.png

If you are using the AMP Engine, the Parallel Block Until Done will not work well either.

avo
7 - Meteor

thank you so much for your suggestion. I will try this option  next time , I have 3 more Projects and for each of them, I will  need to create around 9-10 inputs. I will get back to you and let you know the final results.

Labels