Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Malformed if Statement

SACResearch
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to do the following formula, but continue to get a malformed if error. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

IF [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted] <="2.00" THEN '0.00 to 2.00' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>"2.00" AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<="2.50" THEN '2.01 to 2.50' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>"2.50" AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<="3.00" THEN '2.51 to 3.00' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>"3.00" AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<="3.50" THEN '3.01 to 3.50' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>"3.50" AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<="4.00" THEN '3.51 to 4.00'
ENDIF

12 REPLIES 12
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Couple of things here

First, you don't have a final ELSE statement which is causing an issue.

Also, you can't use < and > with "strings"

Remove the quotes around your values when using < or >. Those values must be numeric.

SACResearch
6 - Meteoroid

I have changed it to the following:

IF [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted] <=2.00 THEN 0.00 to 2.00 ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>2.00 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=2.50 THEN 2.01 to 2.50 ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>2.50 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=3.00 THEN 2.51 to 3.00 ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>3.00 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=3.50 THEN 3.01 to 3.50 ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>3.50 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=4.00 THEN 3.51 to 4.00 ELSEIF Null()
ENDIF

Still shows as an error.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
IF [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted] <=2.00 THEN '0.00 to 2.00' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>2.00 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=2.50 THEN '2.01 to 2.50' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>2.50 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=3.00 THEN '2.51 to 3.00' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>3.00 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=3.50 THEN '3.01 to 3.50' ELSEIF
[CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]>3.50 AND [CUM_HSGPA_Calculated_From_Courses_Unweighted]<=4.00 THEN '3.51 to 4.00' ELSE
'ERROR'
ENDIF

This is the interpretation that will work.  I didn't test for NULL, it will catch null in the ELSE.

Note:  This results in a STRING.  Make sure that your field is defined as a vstring.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

IF ELSEIF ELSEIF .... ELSEIF ELSE ENDIF is the pattern

You must have a final ELSE before the ENDIF

SACResearch
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your assistance!

bayo
5 - Atom

I am having difficulty with this. Invalid type in operator <. Can some one help?

IF ([New WOS after Flush]>[Std+1]) THEN 8000 ELSEIF ([New WOS after Flush]<[Std-1]) THEN 9000 ELSE 5000 ENDIF

or

IF ([New WOS after Flush]>[Std+1]) THEN "Tier3" ELSEIF ([New WOS after Flush]<[Std-1]) THEN "Tier1" ELSE "Tier2" ENDIF

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @bayo

Please ensure that the field [New WOS after Flush] and [Std] are both numeric types.  The message suggests to me that one or the other isn't.

Hope that helps!

John

bayo
5 - Atom

@JohnJPS

Yes my error. Thank you

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
You can remove the extra IF after each ELSEIF, that should do it! :)

NJ
Labels