Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Malformed If Statement error

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

Good afternoon,

I am trying to use the logic below but i keep getting a malformed if statement error. What am i missing? 

iif(IsNull([actual_ship_dt]),"Pending Delivery",iif(IsNull([delivery_appt_to_dt]),iif([scheduled_delivery_to_dt]<DateTimeToday(), "Delayed (non appt)",iif([apt_rqrd_yn] ="Y","Del Appt Required", iif([scheduled_delivery_to_dt] > DateTimeToday(), "Future Delivery","Status Pending")))

8 REPLIES 8
DataNath
17 - Castor

A lot to unpack here, are you able to provide more detail/context? Perhaps some screenshots and/or sample inputs and desired outcomes?

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @czjames87 

Looking at the formula there are two issues:

After the 'iif(IsNull([delivery_appt_to_dt]),' you have no action if it's true, it just jumps straight into the next IFF

You're missing an additional two close brackets at the end to close off all five IFF statements

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@czjames87 

IIF(IsNull([actual_ship_dt]),"Pending Delivery",
IIF(IsNull([delivery_appt_to_dt]),IIF([scheduled_delivery_to_dt]<DateTimeToday(), "Delayed (non appt)",
IIF([apt_rqrd_yn] ="Y","Del Appt Required", 
IIF([scheduled_delivery_to_dt] > DateTimeToday(), "Future Delivery","Status Pending")))))

rfoster7
9 - Comet

rewritten out of iif syntax and into standard alteryx if elseif endif sytax: 

if isnull([actual_ship_dt]) then "Pending Delivery"
elseif isnull([deliver_appt_to_dt])
and [scheduled_delivery_to_dt] < datetimetoday() then "Delayed (non appt)"
elseif [apt_rqrd_yn] = "Y" then "Del Appt Required"
elseif [scheduled_delivery_to_dt] > datetimetoday() then "future delivery")
else "status pending"
endif

alisonpitt
11 - Bolide

Further to what ^^ @DavidSkaife said, if you stack the formula up, it's a little easier to see:

Spoiler
malformed-iif.png
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @czjames87,

Two things you missed:

IraWatt_0-1652395204849.png

One you needed a true clause in your second if statement and secondly you needed 5 ending brackets )))))

iif(IsNull([actual_ship_dt]), "Pending Delivery",
iif(IsNull([delivery_appt_to_dt]), "",
iif([scheduled_delivery_to_dt]<DateTimeToday(), "Delayed (non appt)",
iif([apt_rqrd_yn] = "Y" , "Del Appt Required" , 
iif([scheduled_delivery_to_dt] > DateTimeToday(), "Future Delivery" , "Status Pending" )))))

HTH,

Ira

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

thank you all for your help. All of the solutions provided worked. I appreciate the help. 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries @czjames87  ! :)

Labels