Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Malformed IF statement - BUT the colors are fine!

Newt
8 - Asteroid

I've written an IF statement where the colors are fine -- no black or squiggly underlines anywhere -- but in the workflow it gets flagged as a malformed If statement at a Character position that is Larger than the sum total of all characters and spaces in the statement (as counted by Word).

I have to average numbers for the "three most recent years" in a situation where some years may have null entries:

Malformed IF.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Newt 

You don't need the standalone 'if's after each elseif

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

I dont know how you have the flow setup, but I feel like you may be able to do away with the formula altogether. Something like this would be easier to read and update.

SPetrie_0-1651011792442.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Newt 
As commented by @Luke_C , we dont need the "If" after "elseif".

And I think we should go another not so brutal-force way.
First we can transpose the data and keep the order of year then remove null values, then take the first three, which gives the lastest 3 years of non-null.
At last, with a Summarize and Join tool, you are good to go.

This one is dynamic, still will work even the years increases or the column names change.

0427-Newt.PNGMalformed IF-Cmt.jpg

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SPetrie 
I think we almost replied at the same time and yet the same approach.

I am now feeling much confident. :)

Newt
8 - Asteroid

THANKS!

I had hoped for an elegant way to do this, vs. the laborious/error-prone way I was using.  Your way is very elegant.  Thanks again!

Newt
8 - Asteroid

THANKS!

I had hoped for an elegant way to do this, vs. the laborious/error-prone way that I was using.  Your way is very elegant.  Thanks again!

Newt
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much for showing the *right* way to get the answer.  My IF statements were a kludge....

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Newt 
Glad to be helpful.

Labels