Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Making an app with a dropdown - running into a problem

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

I am trying to make an app where I want a dropdown menu connected to a select tool so that the user can choose which column, in this case the month. I have made an example app attached.

No matter which month I choose on the dropdown it always gives me July, which I don't really understand. I also want the first field to always be there and not on the dropdown. Any advice? Thanks

BillyL14_1-1623235368807.png

7 REPLIES 7
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14 ,

can you please provide the data so we can run this?

Mock data is fine

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@BillyL14 ,

I've mocked the build that you need to do to populate the dropdown.

As you can see, you need to populate the dropdown tool with the column headers, not the column values:

mceleavey_0-1623236149837.pngmceleavey_1-1623236175872.png

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey thanks a lot, I tried your solution out and I still got the July value whichever I chose, not sure why?

Have attached my sample data

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14 ,

You haven't connected your action tool to the correct tool, and your data might not be in the right format.

Can you package your data (options, export workflow) and send it to me so I can build it for you.

You need to have a filter after your data input and connect the action tool to this. In the filter, select Month = X. In the action tool, set it to overwrite the value X

I can build it if you send the data.

M.

Bulien

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey, thanks a lot, I know I must be doing something wrong, have attached, thanks again

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@BillyL14 ,

no problem at all.

I've built that for you now using the Dynamic Select tool and updating the value with from the action.:

mceleavey_0-1623247097510.png

M.

Bulien

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey thanks, I'm trying it out

Labels