community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Making an Automated Pivot Table

Meteor

Is it possible to create an automated pivot table output? I have a data set (that I am automating in Alteryx) that will be refreshed over time and I was wondering if there was logic I could do to create an output that is two tabs:

1) the data set and

2) the pivot table with all of the fields and settings populated.

It is important that the output is in this format. Thank you.

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

@DataUser,

2 Tabs... I'm guessing that you are using EXCEL.

If you save a template .xlsx file with a pre-built pivot table pointing to a "Raw Data" tab, what you are asking is to update the raw data.  The attribute of the pivot table can be set to refresh on open.  Now every time that you run the workflow, you'll update the same target file.

Supposing that you want to save it as a new file each time that you run it, you'll want to xcopy the file to a target directory (maybe change the filename) and then point your output to the new file.  This process requires some finesse.  Let's keep things simple and have you write to one file first and get the output right before getting complicated.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Meteor

Thank you for your reply. I think I understand your method. I'm having trouble executing it though. My Alteryx output is a .csv, and I then created a connection to that .csv file in excel. It makes me run through the "Text Import Wizard" next where I do a Delimited separation on commas, and I am able to make the connection. Next, when I try to create a Pivot Table from this data it gives me the following error: "The type of connection selected cannot be used to create a pivottable".

Do you know why this might be happening?

Meteor

Thank you for your reply @MarqueeCrew. I think I understand your method. I'm having trouble executing it though. My Alteryx output is a .csv, and I then created a connection to that .csv file in excel. It makes me run through the "Text Import Wizard" next where I do a Delimited separation on commas, and I am able to make the connection. Next, when I try to create a Pivot Table from this data it gives me the following error: "The type of connection selected cannot be used to create a pivottable".

Do you know why this might be happening?

@DataUser,

Sorry, but I burned my Excel manuals my first winter in Michigan.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Labels