Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Make a batch macro input optional

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Is it possible to have a field driven input to a batch macro optional? i.e. if no field is mapped to the input a null (or other default) value is passed through the tool?

To give some context I'm using a macro to add data to a database, creating an event log as my workflows run, logging events that are worth capturing. My table has the following fields:

Workflow Name

Event Type

Event date time

File Name

For events such as 'workflow start' the file name would be NULL. For events such as 'file written' I would want to capture the file name.

Ideally the File Name macro input would only be populated for file specific events and could be left blank for non-file events - in other words populating the input would be optional.

3 REPLIES 3
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'm not entirely following, but with Alteryx 10.5 macro inputs are now optional:

Capture.PNG

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

That's interesting. Does it also apply to batch macro inputs? I've attached doc containing a screen shot of my batch macro inputs (I can't upload images directly due to IT policy here and inability to copy/paste in). I'm still using 10.1 but if it's possible to make all macro inputs optional in 10.5 that's a big win.

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link you sent doesn't seem to be working for me. If you're referring to Control Parameter input of a batch macro, no, that is still mandatory (as the number of records you feed into the control parameter represents the number of times the macro will run, so if 0 then it won't run).

Labels