Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Maintaining Special Characters in Column Header via Transpose

TravisJWhite
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I'm having issues with the Cross Tab function removing special characters from the cells that I want to use as my column headers downstream.

Is there any way to prevent that tool from removing special characters when it creates the new column names? I was thinking that maybe there were some sort of dummy characters that I could put before/after to act as a buffer, but no success as of yet.

Cheers,

Travis

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I've seen that with cross tab, but not with transpose.  Can you provide some sample data to help us help you?

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TravisJWhite
7 - Meteor

Hey There,

Sorry - I included the incorrect tool name - it is, in fact, Cross Tab. Edited with correct tool name.

Any solutions for Cross Tab?

Ex: % CY HHs Families with Related Children < 18 Yrs  --> ___CY_HHs_Families_with_Related_Children___18_Yrs_

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TravisJWhite,

With that edit, this makes more sense to me.  What I would suggest is that you create a set of replacements for what will become the header data.

BAD, GOOD

Field_1, Field 1

My_Field, My+Field

You can use an expression like Regex_Replace([Field],"[^a-zA-Z0-9]",'_') to emulate the crosstab.

This table of fieldnames can be used in a DYNAMIC RENAME tool that will exchange any BAD field names for the GOOD ones.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TravisJWhite
7 - Meteor

Thanks Mark!

I was able to truncate the original list using the Data Cleansing tool, then add Dynamic Rename to replace those just before the output downstream. 

adityag539
5 - Atom

Hey Travis, 

Can you provide your solution?
I am stuck with a similar problem

w_chivers
7 - Meteor

Thanks MarqueeCrew, worked a treat. 

I've attached an example to this post for anyone looking at it in the future.

Labels