Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Maintaing sort order after join tool

SR
8 - Asteroid

HI All,

I want to maintain my original sort order one the column i am using to join with another input. the 2nd input column is not order the way i need and its causing the original column to lose its sorting after the join. Any way i can avoid this.

Thanks

Sam

10 REPLIES 10
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @SR

You could add a recordID before the join and the re-sort based on that recordID after the join.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Sam.

Any fields that are involved in the Join process will be sorted by the joining tool. What I recommend is to use a Record ID tool before the join tool, and then sort by the assigned Record ID field after the join is complete. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: @LordNeilLord beat me to the answer again. I need to stop leaving these windows open so long.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Sorry @CharlieS

I'm leaving work now, so the questions are all yours :)

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The important thing is that users get the solutions they need. I'll be around for the American workday. Have a good evening, @LordNeilLord.

SR
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both! the record ID worked. such a simple solution!! appreciate your help.

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi @CharlieS,

What's the order the join tool sorts records in? For example, I notice that the join sorts records but not sure what the rule is/why. Could you comment to that?

Thank you!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Join tool will sort by any field that it has been configured to join on. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

alexcordero
7 - Meteor

Is there a reference list of tools that will change the order of the incoming data inside the tool such as the Join does .  Also is there a list of tools that may require data to be in a specific sort order prior to processing such as Multi-Row?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@alexcordero wrote:

Is there a reference list of tools that will change the order of the incoming data inside the tool such as the Join does .  Also is there a list of tools that may require data to be in a specific sort order prior to processing such as Multi-Row?

I would check out the Periodic Table of Alteryx tools at the link below:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Periodic-Table-of-Alteryx-tools/ba-p/64120 

In this table, the border color should provide the information you're looking for. Red borders indicate "blocking tools", which require all records to be input before beginning their process, This typically indicates the records will be sorted or re-ordered to suite the process of that tool. The blue borders are tools that work as "records stream" meaning each record is run in sequence.

A sort is not required or any of these tools because they will apply that sort themselves (blocking/red tools). Any required sorts will be based on your particular use case. 

Labels