Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macros

Shrik
7 - Meteor

Hey all

I am trying to figure out how I cam wrap up an Alteryx workflow (see workflow in container) and wrap the whole workflow into a macro.

So I use 1 icon (batch macro) and insert this into the data source.And it does the full ETL process, as opposed to have 13 icons

I am not sure if Alteryx can even do this. 

But trying to do this as i'm fairly new to Alteryx so fairly difficult getting my head around this.

Also see attached my workflow I have now - any suggestions please help.

Many thanks all.

Shrik

  

AL02.PNG

AL01.PNG

25 REPLIES 25
Shrik
7 - Meteor

Really odd 

Now i have changed the macros settings to the screen shot you shows i am only seeing 1 value?

AL15.PNG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Shrik wrote:

Hey @JoeS 

How is this done as my screen shows something slightly different.

AL11.PNG

Sorry, I should have said. At the top of Alteryx if you Go to View > Interface Designer. You'll see that screen

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

What's the configuration options of your macro and the data going into it look like?

If you are grouping the data that could be why.

Shrik
7 - Meteor

Hey @JoeS  

hmm - this is confusing me - configuration of my macro is same as you showed in your previous highlighted screen shot.

Ive attached  the workflow with macro in case it helps.

Just feels like for something fairly straight forward in my case this macro is being overly engineered.

AL16.PNG

AL17.PNG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sorry, I am not quite sure on your current issue, and can't replicate it without your data.

Shrik
7 - Meteor

@JoeS 

so my issue is when i have changed my macro to the configuration settings you said.

And now add the macro onto my workflow. I am only see 1 row of data.

AL18.PNG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Ah ha. You'll need to add a browse tool after the macro to get it to run all the iterations of the macro.

You should see in your log that one iteration was run ended by a downstream tool. AKA there are no downstream tools so it stops.

Shrik
7 - Meteor

Hey @JoeS 

So looks like im getting closer to what I am trying to figure out

But (always a but 🙂

I am getting NULL in "File Name"

So @JoeS the reason first of I want "file name" is so i can see where the the number has come from. i.e .which file.

I have checked the Data Types in my actual macro and macro on workflow and this looks the same as well.

This macro runs on 52 files, and each file once the transform is done contains 120 rows, so the end output should be 6240.

Thats what i initally had. 

AL19.PNG

AL20.PNG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

It looks like your dynamic rename tool is renaming the filename column. I'd uncheck that in each of them to see if that helps.

Not sure what's best to recommend after that. Sorry, just very hard to debug without the data

Shrik
7 - Meteor

Ah okay 

Happy to send the workflow with data in, just not sure if this can be done with alteryx?

Data wise its just sample data I am playing with to practice my Macros skills with Alteryx

Labels