Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macros

Shrik
7 - Meteor

Hey all

I am trying to figure out how I cam wrap up an Alteryx workflow (see workflow in container) and wrap the whole workflow into a macro.

So I use 1 icon (batch macro) and insert this into the data source.And it does the full ETL process, as opposed to have 13 icons

I am not sure if Alteryx can even do this. 

But trying to do this as i'm fairly new to Alteryx so fairly difficult getting my head around this.

Also see attached my workflow I have now - any suggestions please help.

Many thanks all.

Shrik

  

AL02.PNG

AL01.PNG

25 REPLIES 25
Shrik
7 - Meteor

Hey @JoeS 

see attachment - data and alteryx workflow attached

Does this help mate?

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I have made a few changes to how the FileName field was being used in the dynamic renames and the transpose tools and that appears to have done the trick

Workflow3.png

Shrik
7 - Meteor

Hey @JoeS 

First of massive thanks for your advice on this! 

Yes your solution did work perfectly fine so thank u!

This is where I am getting slightly confused.

I replicated a similar process on the one you showed me for DTCC files, but this time did it on Weekend Box Office Sales

(.xls) excel files. Not sure why on my screen shot I am getting duplicated data though ?

If you look at the 3rd screen shot i've unticked the "File Names" you advised it is obviously best practice to take this off as I was having issues on this similar icon.

Ive attached the altery workflow and sample raw data files.

AL30.PNG

AL31.PNG

AL32.PNG

Shrik
7 - Meteor

@JoeS 

Sorry forgot to mention the aim of the ETL data files attached was just to extract the 

"Top 15 Ranked" films in each file. 

My workflow seems to work on the 1st data file. But after that it duplicates.

Shrik_0-1571956535627.png

AL30.PNG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Shrik 

You're welcome.

I have just open your macro and the action isn't updating the input tool:

Previous.png

See how nothing is selected in the input tool to update.

I have updated it and uploaded it:

New.png

It's now updating the path part of the input tool, and replacing the specific string, which is the name and location (full path) of excel file and not the sheet name.

Now each batch should update the file rather than reading the same one each time.

Sam7
8 - Asteroid

Hi JoeS, 

Do you always have to save your Macro's in the same place?  

I tried to save these to my Desktop, but in the insert part I couldn't see my Macro.  I think had to save to my Documents, where I have an Alteryx macro folder. 

Thanks

Labels