Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macros is not reading all files from the directory

simasarry123
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow borrowed from somebody. It has a macros in it with the Input folder that links to one of the sample files. The macro in itself is running fine but when I connect it to Directory(folder containing all the input excel files) , macro is not reading other files apart from the sample file I inputted. How do I make my macro read all input files from the directory?

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @simasarry123 

Can you try to add a Browse tool after your macro and see if you can see more data? If not, will you be able to share the workflow so Community can check the macro configuration? TY!

simasarry123
8 - Asteroid

yes i do see that the output of macros is pulling data from all the files that are there in the directory, but not sure why the output file is just showing one record . Seems like issue with the other parts of the workflow then.

Thank you for the advice.

MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@simasarry123 Does the macro have a Control Parameter in it?  And is it using the Dynamic Input tool?  You may need both of these to have the macro read the data from 1 file at a time and then union them together.  I've attached a sample workflow that should cover your need.  See the container labeled '7. Even More Dynamic . . .'    You can open the macro by right clicking on it and selecting 'Open Macro . . .'  From there you can compare your macro with this one to see if you can determine what you need to add to your macro.  If this does not help completely, please post a sample workflow and macro so we can see what's going on.

simasarry123
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the reply. However I am unable to open the package due to version issue. Yes my workflow has control parameter, action tool has update value ( showing  the name of file path ) . 

MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@simasarry123 - you should be able to open the file, even if I have a later version.  The pop up is just a warning that should ask if you want to open.  There are not any newer tools in the workflow/macro that would make it incompatible.  If you're getting a different error when opening, please share a screen print.  

Thank you for the information on the Interface tool / Action tool.  You'll also need to use a Dynamic Input tool.  Do you have that?  

Here's a screen print of the macro, but it would help to open the file so you can see the configuration of the tools.  The Select and Append tools are optional.

MichelleL_0-1656105256209.png

simasarry123
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I am able to open the workflow now. This is helpful. I am modifying my workflow in the similar manner. 

Labels