Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macros Not Displaying

Susoeffl
7 - Meteor

I have 9 macros in a macros folder.  I connect to them but only 6 show up.  Does anyone have an idea i can check out?

What I've tried so far: 

1. Restarting Alteryx

2. Restarting my Computer

3. Moving the macros from a One-Drive folder to my C drive

4. Disconnecting from all paths to those macros, restarting Alteryx then reconnecting to new location

5. Restarting Alteryx and then my computer after Step 4.

The three in question are all batch macros (don't know if that is relevant) the other commonality is they all use the input tool.

I have to right-click and insert every time I want to use one of the three macros.  I can't even search for them as a tool; they don't come up there either.

any ideas to try or explanations to pursue would be great.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Susoeffl ,

One possible reason is the macro versions. If you saved them in a higher version designer, it will not show in your tool palette.

You can open the yxmc file in notepad and check the second line. It will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2020.1">
<Nodes>
<Node ToolID="1">

You can change it to a lower version and save it or open the macro with a lower version designer and save it.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As mentioned above, this may be due to different versions. Alteryx is forward compatible, meaning you can open and use a workflow made on an older version with a newer version. You cannot do the opposite.

Also, you may want to look into creating tool installers for your macros so they are easily accessible in your palette. This will turn your macros into tools that can have customized icons. This also makes it easier to share workflows that contain macros.

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2017/10/05/create-share-alteryx-tool-installer-yxi-file/

Susoeffl
7 - Meteor

Hi @fmvizcaino  I updated recently-ish to 2020.2, then created 2 of these macros myself and saved them in the version I am using (and I double checked the version just now). The other macro is 2019.4.

I know when someone with an older version has used a macro from me, it popped up a message warning about versions. 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Susoeffl ,

Would you be able to share one of these macros? You can simplify or delete tools inside of it, I only want to check if the error appears in my designer as well.

I've created a batch macro same as yours and worked fine, that's why I'm asking for it.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Susoeffl
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino  I created a simple dummy one and have the same problem.  It is a Batch Macro with an Input to test those items as possible issues.  I have also attached my "about" information.   Thank you for helping to check this out.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Susoeffl ,

I've tested here in my 2020.2 version and it worked as it should. I resaved the macro in version 2020.1 now, see if it appears now.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Susoeffl
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino   Figured it out!  I had used one macro as a jumping off place for a couple other distinct, but related macros.  And i forgot to change all the meta data.  They were all trying to map to the In/Out tab to the same name.  so one was showing up and the rest were confused, and I didn't even want the others in that tab anyway.  

Once I fixed that, they showed up.  

Thanks for your time!

APIUserOpsGiri
7 - Meteor

I had the same issue, I checked in AMP Engine and it fixed the issue.

Runtime > AMP Engine > checkin AMP Engine

APIUserOpsGiri_0-1687450513099.png

Labels