Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macros Disappear

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Experts - 

I imported a set of macros some of our consultants put together to run their workflows, however when I fire up Alteryx each morning they seem to have disappeared overnight and I need to reimport.  The location of the macros is on a shared drive and it does not change. 

If I close and reopen Alteryx on the same day they are still there, as you would expect.      

Any idea what the problem is?

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

How are you importing the macros? I assume you are importing from a .yxzp file, which actually creates a new folder when you import/unzip the file. The macros would remain inside of that folder. 

Are the macros pointing to the shared drive in the workflow? If not, that could be the issue. I suggest the developer make the macros into tools by creating a .yxi file. Essentially, the macro will be installed to your tool pallet. See below for instructions: 

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2017/10/05/create-share-alteryx-tool-installer-yxi-file/ 

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

They are still pointing to the shared drive but are saved as .yxmc files.  Is that a problem?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Bonediggler ,

Of course it is a long shot, but couldn't it be an IT process cleaning this specific folder. I once experienced something like that in a customer of ours and it is a thing to consider.

There isn't a native option in Alteryx that automatically erases workflows or macros from a folder.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Hi - it was actually due to the fact I had copied some workflows that were using relative dependencies.  Because I saved them in a different location, the path to the macro folder was broken.

Thanks for helping out!

Labels