Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. 

I have a quick question with regards to a macro that I have created for my workflow. The macro basically reads 5-6 excel files from a shared drive.

The macro seems to have been saved on my desktop and have copy pasted the same onto the common shared drive.

When my colleugues open the workflow they cannot run it as the macro gives up an error stating the file is saved on my desktop.

Can you please guide what can I do.  

7 REPLIES 7
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mihir_mir_jb 
I usually save the macro in the same folder with the workflow then use insert option to insert the macro the workflow.

Then pack the workflow and distribute, so far it works jus fine.

Export.pngMacro.png

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid
When I save the workflow after exporting to a shared drive, it says media is write protected. So do I need to save the worklow somewhere else and edit in the new location and everytime after editing save it in the shared drive ?
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hey @mihir_mir_jb !

In addition to @Qiu solution, also verify if any of the workflow dependencies points to a path in your local machine or even if the shared folder is not mapped different in their machines (e.g. in your machine is in disc E: and in their machines is in disc F:).

One quick way to you check all the workflow dependencies:

Options -> Advanced Options -> Workflow Dependencies

marcusmontenegro_0-1619092456893.png

Dependency column show all paths pointed by some tool in your workflow. Any of them can point to your machine (unless your workflow change the path during the run)

marcusmontenegro_1-1619092485546.png

Hope that helps too!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mihir_mir_jb 

As long as you have inserted the macro then the macro will have relative relation with the workflow.

Just distribute the package to anyone, they can open the workflow by clicking the package.

It will just work fine.

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your reply.

All the dependency for my workflow are in the shared drive as expected. 

How can I edit anything in the workflow ? since when I click save it says - "The media is write protected"

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, can you help me understand how to distribute package ? 

And if I distribute he package will I be able to edit the workflow since when I exported the workflow to the share drive I am unable to edit 

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@mihir_mir_jb 

If you have an Input data tool in your macro that is looking to your c:\drive, then depending how your macro is configured -- could be causing the issue.

Thanks,

Seth

Labels