Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro with input, need to get modified date from file

tmonroe
7 - Meteor

I have a macro that has been working fine, but i need to add the modified date of the file for processing.  I know the dynamic input will allow me to get the modified date, but the macro itself has a macro input that is populating fullpath of file.  How do I get that into the dynamic input tool.  Do I need to create a batch macro to add to my current macro or is there an easier way to get information from the Fullpath field?

7 REPLIES 7
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @tmonroe 

You can, in theory, have unlimited number of user inputs to any macro. so I think you can modify the existing macro to accommodate the additional user input.

If you can share the workflow, i can help you with a first crack.
dawn.

tmonroe
7 - Meteor

Wouldn't the new input have same issue.  I want to push the filename into the directory tool, so it can give me the modified date?

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @tmonroe 

I'm not 100% following, so I may have missed the question intention.

Would you be able to share a sample file or otherwise show expected inputs vs. outputs?

Dawn.

tmonroe
7 - Meteor

The first part of the macro is where the input file is entered, and now I have full path.  I want to push that to the dynamic input, so it will retrieve the modified date.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @tmonroe 

I did not see a Dynamic Input Tool in the workflow. Do you mean the output of this macro is to be fed into a Dynamic Input tool in a separate workflow?

The file is a standard macro i.e. a package workflow. I'm making a guess of the intention as the explanation is not clear to me. Is this what you try to do:

1) The user input the date

2) You want to read only the file or tab that corresponds to the "modified date" that is input by the user?

Assuming that this guess is correct, then:

1) No need for the Dynamic Input tool (which is meant to read multiple files/tabs of the same schema and join them together).

2) Use a batch macro, with a Control Parameter and Action set to update the path to point to the "tab" or "file" that requires reading.

If this guess is completely off, i'm sorry I did not understand correctly.

Dawn.

Capture.PNG

tmonroe
7 - Meteor

Yes, that is what I thought I had to do.  Create a batch macro and include that in my standard macro.  I was thinking maybe i was missing an easier solution to getting a modified date of a known file.

Thank you.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @tmonroe 

Another way to do it is to use an analytic app.

let user specify the tab name, and file via appropriate use input interface then use those inputs to update/create a full path to access data.

cheers

dawn 

Labels