Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro updating only one table (running for only one iteration)

TarunaT
8 - Asteroid

I have a macro to populate different tables from different files base on name of source files. Its running for all the files when I execute it one at a time.

But the macro is not populating all the tables, only one table give in the macro is getting populated. However, in the directory tool, its fetching both the files .

5 REPLIES 5
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are both Excel files the same schema?

The macro you have create looks to be replacing the whole string within the input tool (both the Excel workbook name and the sheet name), the directory tool only returns the workbook name, I think you might need to concatenate the sheet name to each flow as well. 

Also, it may be worth including the message log in order to help debug further if it's not the above, you can turn on macro messages from within the workflow configuration "click background of workflow > Runtime tab > Show All Macro Messages" as that may well give us a hint in order to help you.

TarunaT
8 - Asteroid

I updated the workflow to replace full path, its not working aftre that as well. Also, I enabled macro messages, its shows that itsrunning for two iterations.

TarunaT
8 - Asteroid

I got the solution. I was actually deleting the data and appending it in the table. After changing the configuration, it worked. Thanks @JoeS, for pointing me to macro messages, I didn't knew that. It really helped !

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yeah, I think you may have stumbled upon the updated needed.

In your macro action you had selected the path to change, but at the bottom of the action you were trying to replace a specific string but the two things were different, which was why it wasn't replacing. This often catches people out.

The tool was configured with:

C:\Users\ttomar001\Desktop\Projects\GE Alteryx\Source Data\raw files\test\eAudit_Purchase_Transactions_ALSTOM_05_2018.xlsx|||`Transaction Details$`

The action was looking to replace:

C:\Users\ttomar001\Desktop\Projects\GE Alteryx\Source Data\raw files\test\eAudit_Purchase_Transactions_FUSION_05_2018.xlsx|||`Transaction Details$`

Note "ALSTOM" vs "FUSION"

If you are replacing the whole string I'd always recommend not having check box "Replace a specific string" selected to avoid this issue

ActionReplace.png

TarunaT
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @JoeS !! I 

Labels