Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro to convert XLSX to CSV

aamerin
7 - Meteor

I have 300 excel XLSX files that I need to get converted into CSV comma delimted files. I typically use a VBA script in excel, that goes to the folder where I have the files saved and goes through and creates a copy of the excel file as a CSV format. I would like to be able to do this in Alteryx.

Can someone help me figure out a batch macro that that do this?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
miantanzeel
5 - Atom

Total Excel Converter is the perfect choice to convert any type of table. Supported input formats include Excel and Excel 2007, XLSM, XLT, XLTM as well as OpenOffice formats ODS, XML, SQL, WK2, WKS, WAB, DBF, TEX, and DIF. The list of target formats is even more extensive: convert your tabled files into DOC, DOCX, PDF, HTML, Access, TXT, ODT, ODS, XML, SQL, CSV, Lotus, DBF, TEX, DIFF, SYLK, and LaTeX. Instead of spending hours trying to gather various converters for each file type, download the one tool that can handle them all!

Total Excel Converter supports almost all Excel extensions: XLS, XLSX, XLSM, XLSB, XLT, XLTM, XLTX, XLK, XLW. When the new Office is released, we will add new file types too.

The widest list of output file types: DOC, PDF, HTML, MHT, XHTML, CSV, TXT, TIFF, JPEG, SVG, RTF, XML, XLS, XLSX, ODS, ODT, Lotus, DIFF, SYLK, LATEX, SQL, DBF, Access!

phillchl
5 - Atom

Hello @Jbrooks , 

I have downloaded and modified your app. It is the first workflow that has actually worked for my situation, however there is a hiccup. The resulting .csv files only contain a list of the sheet names in the excel file. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am hoping you might be able to help. I have attached 2 of the 35 files I am trying to convert. Perhaps you can take a peek and see if you can figure out what I might be setting up incorrectly? This problem has plagued me for quite some time now, and I would love to actually find a solution. 

Thanks in advanced for any assistance!

Chelsie

saicharansirangi
5 - Atom

@Jbrooks 

What if there are multiple sheets in a workbook, it is converting only first sheet

faiqz
8 - Asteroid

Hi, do you have this workflow? I tried to develop on my own but I am still lack in macro. Thank you in advance

andynicky89
5 - Atom

You can use a batch macro in Alteryx to convert XLSX files to CSV files. The macro is composed of two tools - a Text Input tool and an Output Data tool. You can configure the Text Input tool to select all the XLSX files in a folder and the Output Data tool to convert the files to CSV.

To do this, first, open the Text Input tool and configure it to select all the XLSX files in the folder. To do this, select 'Directory' from the 'Data Source' dropdown menu and then enter the path of the folder containing the XLSX files.

Next, configure the Output Data tool to convert the XLSX files to CSV. To do this, select 'Output to CSV' from the 'Type' dropdown menu and then select 'Delimited' from the 'Format' dropdown menu.

Finally, connect the two tools together to complete the macro. You can then run the batch macro to convert all the XLSX files in the folder to CSV files.

Labels