Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro-text to columns reference

EtamSoko
8 - Asteroid

hi guys,

I got stuck while creating a macro that includes a text to column tool. It is part of a bigger macro and my goal is for the end user to be able to select while configuring the main macro, what should be the delimiter and how many columns to split the actual column to, and obviously the input column that requires splitting. How should I continue after I included the 'Action' tool in which I can select i.e. the number of columns that the fields needs splitting? Which tool I can create those options for other users?

thanks in advance!

M

MateK_0-1624448788238.png

2 REPLIES 2
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @EtamSoko 

Fun problem!

So since you want your user to be able to change 3 different configuration settings of the Text to Columns tool, you'll want 3 separate interface tools. 

Kenda_0-1624449922217.png

In this example I made, I used a drop down to select the field to split, a text box for the user to type in the delimiter, and a numeric up down to determine the number of fields to split into. 

Next, using each of the action tools, select which piece of the Text to Columns tool you want that interface tool to update. Here is the example of the numeric up down. You can see the action tool is saying update the value for NumFields.

Kenda_1-1624450042823.png

Hope this helps!

MeherSara
5 - Atom

Hello Kenda & EtamSoko,

Had a query regarding above, is there a way we can run this macro for multiple columns ? or is there a way to use multi-field formula to split columns ? For example: What is the most effective and easiest way to approach the below problem statement.

Problem statement: Convert to text - All together :  [Customer][Country][Products] and many more of similar kind

MeherSara_0-1682098819265.png

Labels