Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro output error: Invalid output units

thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community:

I'm trying my hand at developing a macro again and now I'm hitting a confusing error that is frustrating as all get-out.

I've simplified my macro to do something very similar: It takes my data and stacks it. That's it. It has a function (it's great for spider-maps in Tableau), but it's quite simple really.

But when I run the macro in a workflow, I get this frustrating error: Invalid Output Units. 

Rats.PNG

After I was done cursing at this, I tried deselecting fields to send to the output, but to no avail.

I'm again bested by macros. Stumped. [sad face]

I shake my fist!

So, with that, please help. What is going on that makes this error happen?

I've attached the macro. 

Rats,

-Cedric

5 REPLIES 5
MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @thedr9wningman,

I believe the issue may be how we're passing values via the radio buttons to the tool, with the radio buttons you're passing some "incorrect" replacement values to the Distance tool #39 which I think is causing some confusion. You could create some if statements to update the tool values with the original radio buttons if you want to keep the radio buttons.

I opted for something a little easier to manage, with a drop-down similar to the Distance tool's configuration.

Hope this helps!

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

I'd rather a dropdown, but I couldn't figure out how to implement it. This looks great. Thank you!

thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

So, now I have a question:

When I map the fields from my input, they come out using the name from the macro. Is there a way I can retain the inputs' original names?

thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

@MikeSp? Any idea? 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
This can be achieved without the ‘field map process.

To do this i would use some sample data where the fields do not match those used in the macro. The first step of the macro would then to be to use a select tool to rename each of these attributes appropriately.

You xan then use ‘n amount’ of ‘drop down’ interface tools to overwrite the value you are renaming from with the values that your users will pass in.

Finally you can put a select tool at the end, just prior to output, where you rename the fields to that outlines in your sample data. You then have a secondsry set of actions running off your dropdown which overwrite the placeholders which you are renaming too.

I cant really give an example workflow now but can mock something up tomorrow! Unless this is enough for you to interpret off!

Ben
Labels