Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro Input Tool - More Dynamic Method than Text Input or File Input

sducey95
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to figure out the best way to read data into a macro.  Text input is easy and seems to work well, but do I really have to update this each time the data changes?  If I use file input, does this disregard any tools in the main workflow after the Input Data tool?

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sducey95 

The key is to only use fields you need in your macro as a Macro Input.

Then you can set the option "Show Field Map", so you can use any kind of Input and just pass the fields you need for your Macro at that step of the workflow. 

Remember to keep datatypes exactly the same (between Macro Input and your actual Input), otherwise you will run into errors.

Cheers,

sducey95
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Thableau,

Thank you for your prompt response.  Where exactly does "Show Field Map" appear when checked? And you're saying that by checking this and using a File Input method, I won't have to update the macro each time the core data changes within the file?

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@sducey95 

Below "Anchor Abbreviation".

Show Field Map.PNG

Then you can use either a File Input or Text Input, as long as you leave only the desired columns for your Macro.

Don't overload the Macro Input with unnecessary fields, see what I mean?

Cheers,

Labels