Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro Help - Select A Key Field

PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

I am building a workflow and I would like the user to be able to select a key field in the main workflow. However, If I change columns to the source data in the main worfklow, the list box is not populating with the additional rows (of the columns converted to rows) and is only showing the original selection.

I've attached a copy of the Macro Workflow. Is anyone able to help?

PeterAP_0-1655227778786.png

4 REPLIES 4
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@PeterAP 

Your current setup works if your data will be static within the workflow. Since the data needs to be updated prior to the run of the workflow it will not display the new data. This won't work in a macro without an initial run of data to update the macro data.

Not sure if you are open to this but making your workflow into an app would resolve this issue fairly easy. What you would build is a chained app. The first app would update the data to the list box and then the 2nd app would then allow the user to select the list box and whatever other needs you have with that 2nd workflow.

See these references:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DanM , I thought that might be the case, but was hoping to avoid the creation of an app as you can't see how the data is being transformed at each step of the way. However, I will look into this, once I'm happy with the rest of my workflow.

Thanks,

PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

@DanM 

Actually, the problem I will have is that the inputs will need to change each time, is there anyway I can link up a standard workflow to an app?

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@PeterAP 

What is your reason for wanting to see the data run through the workflow on each run? We encourage users to create apps if they are going to share. The reason being, that someone can accidentally make a change to the workflow without your knowledge and create a break or create misrepresented results. If an app is created they can't change anything within the workflow and can only update the the tools that you have allowed them to using the app interface.

If you create an app you can still update the inputs each time.

You can use tools like the app browse tool to allow users to input the data. You can also use the directory tool to load new data within a directory and use the subsequent Dynamic Input tool to load the data into the workflow. Lastly, you can change any workflow into an app manually by going into the workflow configuration and changing the workflow type.

Labels