Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro File Locator shortcut

danielmaguire
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have created a macro, which includes an input data tool within the macro. I am having issues with inserting a generic file address for this input data, as once I pass over the alteryx package, I do not want the user to have to open the macro, and change the address of the input data tool within the macro. Assuming the file address is of the input excel is  "C:\Users\a\b\c\d\e\f\g.xlsx". When I change it to ".\f\g.xlsx", i get an error stating that the file cannot be located.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks,
Daniel

5 REPLIES 5
Drussek
9 - Comet

Drussek_0-1601481287075.png

If you use file browse from interface, then user will have to select file before running flow.

danielmaguire
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Drussek, on the configuration panel, can I then have the file path populated with the shortcut to the input file, or will the user have to select the file themselves?

Drussek
9 - Comet

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly.

If you build a flow using a macro, you can distribute it already with the indicated file. If the user wants to point to another one, he can do so without entering the macro.
However, when the user will build a flow using your macro, he will have to select the file himself, there is no option to set a default file.

danielmaguire
8 - Asteroid

Hi Drussek, thank you that makes sense! One final question surrounding file location. 

Within my macro, in the Macro Input tool, I use a template which I have saved to my desktop for the ‘file input’. The macro will not work without this template. 

When another user uses this macro, will the macro still work if the user does not have this file? If it doesn’t work, is there a solution to this problem? 

thanks for all of your help.

Drussek
9 - Comet

The file indicated in the macro will always be replaced with the one indicated in flow. The template used in the macro will only be used when editing the macro, but I assume users will not do so, and even if they then select their own file.

Good luck danielmaguire.

Labels