Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro Errors do not Cancel Workflow

mautaznesh
5 - Atom

Is this a bug or intentional design?

We had an issue with certain workflows hanging up which resulted in the lock up of certain tables in our server when mid write.

Even though we dealt with the workflow and addressed the issue, we wanted a redundancy in place just in case.

I created an iterative macro that takes a DateTimeNow Time Stamp and then iterates until a certain # of minutes have passed based on the configuration of the user and then it will error out.
It only requires that you insert the macro into the flow you're concerned w/ and have AMP on as it will need to be run simultaneously.

The problem I've run into in testing is that even though I've configured the Test Flow to have "Cancel Workflow up Error", when the Macro Error pops up saying it's timed out, the workflow still doesn't stop rendering the whole macro useless.

1 REPLY 1
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mautaznesh 

Not all errors are treated the same depending on how and where they are configured (you may have heard of "blocking" vs "non-blocking" errors). When you say "...it will error out", how exactly did you configure this?

We might want to look at some additional options such as:

- Iterative Macro settings (from the Interface Designer)

- A Message tool configured with "Error - And Stop Passing Records Through This Tool"

Labels