Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro Error: The output connection was not valid

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid

Greetings.

I have a new macro based on the community message titled: "CS Macro Dev: Conditional Processing with Detours"

I do not get how to resolve the error shown below. Note I have the tools built into my original workflow and am attempting to substitute the macro in place of them. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Workflow Example: (Includes Detour tools the macro is to replace)

DetourTaken01.jpg

MACRO

MACRO Configuration: DetourMacro.jpgDetourConfig.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@rgusaas,

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like this macro isn't doing anything at all... You need a macro input to actually run your data through the detour tool.

Even then I'm not sure this is going to do what you want. Batch macros run the entire data stream through a certain number of times based on the control parameter. So, I think you will want that to be a single value. Again, I could be wrong.

Either way I think the error is being triggered because you have no data flowing through the macro.

Hope this helps,

MSalvage

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid

I see your point regarding the macro. 

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@rgusaas,

Interesting. So the reason this error is actually being triggered is because the detour tool does not continue processing on the inactive side. Meaning it doesn't even pass 0 records. It is almost as if the unused macro output didn't have a connection. I would recommend using a 'Detour End' tool to bring the two streams back together and using a single Macro Output.

Best,

MSalvage

svora
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I build a batched macro and then put that macro in my main workflow, and it worked the first few times and now I get an error saying "Record #1: Tool #5 Parse Error at Char(53): Unknown Variable "#1" ... output connection "Report_Date Macro" was not valid" .... how can the workflow work most times and not now? Anyone get this type of error before?

Thanks for any insight!

Sabeen Vora

Alteryx MACRO Workflow - Snapshot.PNGAlteryx Workflow - Snapshot.PNG

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

Hi @svora,

I got the exact same error when I sent nothing into the macro. Is it possible that the folder is empty?(no new data?)

If this does not solve your problem, I would recommend starting your own post as this one is quite old and will likely not get you as many useful responses.

Good luck,

MSalvage

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid
  • I suggest putting a filter tool after the directory tool and filter where size > 0. This will tell you what files, if any made it through.
  • Second, limit the wildcard (*.*) on the Directory tool in case there are other files in the folder that could be hosing things up.
  • Looking at the macro, it is unclear what the purpose is. If you are simply trying to get the report date added to the data as a field, there are simpler ways without involving a macro.  
  • If the error persists, post your macro so it can be tested.
svora
6 - Meteoroid

No, the folder is not empty. Thank you for the suggestion, I will create a new post.

svora
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the Filter tip, I added it to my workflow after the directory.

As for the Macro on my workflow, that is where I am getting the error. The error message says, "Entry Point is invalid" ... What do we put in the Entry Point? Alteryx 'Entry Point' Error - Snapshot.PNG

rgusaas
8 - Asteroid

Examine the attached macro.

It accepts a date field as input. Note that it does not use the Input tool but the Text Input tool to create a placeholder date that will be substituted. I also set the control parameter name to describe what to connect it to via the questions tab you will get when connecting it to your workflow.

Sometimes the errors are non-fatal in that they describe a data type error. That is the control parameter may be expecting a date vs. a string for example.

Hope this helps.

Labels