Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro Error Message - Tree Selections

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I have a tree tool inside a marco that mimics a database setup ie. Level 1 = Database | Level 2 = Schema | Level 3 = Table | Level 4 = Columns

With that tree users can select columns from any table and download only the respective columns they have selected. Beucase they can select multiple columns I cannot use the 'Limit to one selection' inside the tree tool. 

My goal is now to display an error if a user selects columns from two different tables as this can cause an issue downstream and might not be noticed by a user if he accidentially selected columns from two tables. 

The expression should be something like 'IF Count(Selections Table/Schema/Database) > 1 THEN ERROR'

Capture.PNG

Thanks!

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You're trying to do too much processing in the action tool. I'm not saying it's impossible - but this is much easier to control downstream and post key join - where you can see the granular level of what's been selected in the Tree.

Attach the tree to a text input box via action tool and attach a browse tool - check out the results of the formatting of a multiple selection. I vaguely remember it's (xxx,xxx) perhaps you can create a logic for this using regex_countmatches - but I'd expect this is way easier downstream in workflow.

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

HI @apathetichell thanks for the reply. 

I have tried a downstream tool which identifies if there is 2 selections and attached a test tool which throws an error is so, but it seems that the internal macro error does not show when the macro is run in another workflow...hence I wanted to try the error message tool instead.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

By downstream - I mean in the macro - outside of the action tool. Have the action tool update a text input. Test the results of your text input for multiple values.

Labels