Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

MID Function form Excel

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community.

I have a rather weirdly simple scenario, I have a field with three numbers and I want to split them up into three separate columns, like text to columns in Excel. 

The first and last numbers I used:

ToNumber(Left(ToString([Scale]), 1))

ToNumber(Right(ToString([Scale]), 1))

But the middle number I cannot extrapolate. I tired the Substring(String,start,length) formula but I got the infamous error:  Type Mismatch, number provided...

Any help rendered will be truly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
yalmar_m
11 - Bolide

Hi @ZoeM,

DId you try to use the RegEx tool?

Attached in an example that might help you out.

Best,

Yalmar

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ZoeM 

Use RegEX tool in Parse mode with this expression (\d)(\d)(\d)

Much easier.

Cheers,

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the solutions guys!

And quick response too!

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

So I need to join the new three created fields back to the data model and when I use the join tool I get the error string fields can only join to other string fields etc. 

My original field that I need to parse is a double field. Any advice on how to add my new fields to the model?

yalmar_m
11 - Bolide

You might want to append them, instead of joining them.

Can you show us your workflow?

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

I found a workaround, not sure if it is the best solution but it seems to be working just right for what I need. 

From the source data, I added a select tool and redirected my double field and another string field. I parsed the double field, and used the string field to join to the rest of the data model.

Workflow.JPG

Labels