Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Lost Ability to Open Multiple Copies of Same Workflow

natej
7 - Meteor

Prior to updating to Designer 2019.4 I frequently made use of the ability to have multiple copies of the same workflow open in the same Alteryx session in different tabs. After updating this no longer seems to be an option.

For example, if I had a saved workflow 'Workflow1.yxmd', I would open the workflow and begin to make some changes. Then, (before saving) I would open another copy, either by reopening the workflow from File Explorer or by selecting the workflow via File > Open Recent. This way I could have open both the original (saved) version as well as my modified (unsaved) version without prematurely cluttering a drive with various saved copies.

Now, when re-opening a workflow the Designer window pops up with the same copy of the workflow I already had open. In other words, I can no longer have two tabs open using the same workflow file/name.

Does anyone know any way around this? Of course I could save the workflow with a new name, or open a whole new session of Alteryx, but both these options are quite inconvenient. Also, if I right click on the workflow name on the tab there is a 'Duplicate' option, but this duplicates the workflow in its current state (modified), rather than the original, saved state.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or an intentional change in behavior, but it has proven rather annoying for my team and me.

Thanks,

Nate

21 REPLIES 21
gboland
5 - Atom
I found that if you put the mouse on the workflow name tab at the top of the screen and right click, an option to Duplicate will open a copy of the work Flow with "copy of" prepended to the name. You can Open multiples of this name as long as you keep duplicating the original.
jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

The 2020.1 release includes a user setting to disable this behavior. Additionally, if you hold the shift key when you are opening a file it will allow you to open more than one of the same file. You can download the 2020.1 release here.

Labels